Connexions Personal Advisers (PAs) are in each Dudley School providing information advice and guidance to parents and young people with  education, health and care plans (EHC plans) about the range of further education, training and work options available 

Transition planning with schools and colleges

Our PAs will attend EHCP review meetings from year 9 (usually aged 13) to provide help for you and your young person. Your school can provide you with details of the allocated PA and how to contact them. Please speak to your schools SENCo or careers leader.

How we can help

The PA will meet your young person in school/college or any other appropriate location to discuss their options, routes and next steps. The meeting will be summarised in a careers action plan which will detail any agreed actions. As part of our support we also advise and signpost to other services where appropriate.

Options at 16Pexels Rodnae Productions 7402883

For young people leaving school at 16 the Connexions PA will offer careers advice and guidance interviews suited to the young person’s needs. Advice is also available for you to support your young person’s transition. We can provide information on the provision, visits, open days and taster sessions.

Many young people move into further education (college) or post 16 or sixth form settings as they need more support over a longer time in education to meet their needs.

Some young people may be able to access a mainstream course with extra support under the EHCP. Others may need the extra support of the supported learning or foundation courses which usually offer smaller groups and high levels of support that all local colleges and specialist post 16 settings offer.

For a small number of young people where local colleges cannot meet young people’s needs under the EHCP it may be possible to explore a specialist college placement. Connexions Personal Advisers can provide advice and guidance about these.


Options at 19

When young people in education reach the age 19 Personal Advisers alongside their provision can provide support and guidance leading in preparation for transition to their next steps .

Main options

If young people with education health care plans need education may want to continue in education and this will be discussed through the support that may be offered by their education provider or Connexions where appropriate.


Adult social care options

Another possibility could be that the young person’s needs could be better met in daytime activities provided through adult social care and a transition social care assessment and social worker.

There is a range of local specialist voluntary sector and local authority provision offering a large number of activities that your social worker should be able to advise on.

Young people should also be able to have activities after 19 over 5 days after they leave school. This could be a combination of a local college course and social care activities to make up a programme. For more information click here


Transition into work

Some of our young people may feel a vocational pathway is more suited to them, for information on this please visit our employment page.

Other information

National Guidance for parents

EHCP transition review guide