If you are in year 11, you can consider leaving school and getting a job, the world of work may be calling you but there is a lot of preparation you need to do before you get to that point. Our Latest “Getting a job” booklet is a good place to start and can be accessed HERE

Working at 16

At 16 years of age you can legally start work either part time or full time, as long as it has accredited training. Part time work fits in around whatever else it is you are doing whether that be studying, volunteering or caring for a relative.

If you are considering working full time you will need to have a clear idea of what it is you want to do but also what you are able to do…It would be a waste of time if you applied to be a window cleaner and you hated heights!

Although you need to know what it is you would like to do you still have to be flexible in order to give yourself the best chance of getting employment. Although the first job you get may not be your “dream job” use it as a chance to gain experience and develop you skills. Take up any training opportunities that you are offered and show willingness to learn new skills.

Preparing yourself will give you the best possible chance of getting a job and Connexions can support you in this preparation. We will provide access to online resource and offer practical, impartial and up to date information, advice and guidance to help you find the right opportunity for you.

Please also bear in mind that until you reach the age of 18 you are classed as a young worker who cannot usually be made to work more that eight hours per day or 40 hours per week.

Under 16

If you are under 16 there are more guidelines that must be followed.

The Children and Young Persons Act, 1933 states that no child below the age of 13 may be employed.  All young people of compulsory school age require a work permit to work on a part–time basis and/or during the school holidays.  Additionally, the legislation contains limits on working hours and provides restrictions on the types of employment children can undertake.

Employing a young person of compulsory school age, without such a permit is a criminal offence and employers may be subject to legal action. In addition, the young person will not be covered by the employer’s liability insurance.

Child Performers

The Children and Young Persons Act 1933 (Sections 23 to 30) and The Children and Young Persons Act 1963 (Sections 37 to 44) are the primary pieces of legislation that cover child performance and underpins the licensing system. These Acts determine whether a licence is required. The legislation requires that all children, from babies until they cease to be of compulsory school age, be licensed when they take part in a performance or activity that falls under licensing laws.

If you wish to refer concerns about a child working unlawfully or a child performing without a licence, or if you require any advice and guidance, please contact the Child Employment Officer at Child.Employment@dudley.gov.uk or 01384 814317.

If you need to work longer than 40 hours a week, or you think your employer is unfairly asking you to work over this limit, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau on 0300 3309 044 (local rate applies) or the Pay and Work Rights helpline on 0800 917 2368

Please see our Looking for work section for more information on getting a job.